16th National Trails Symposium - Orlando,
Florida -- back to the
Symposiium home page
Goldsboro Trail Design
The Department of Environmental Protection's Office of Greenways
and Trails, Front Porch Communities, and TEI Engineers and
Planners are sponsoring a trail design competition in the Front
Porch Community of Goldsboro in Sanford, Florida. The purpose of
the competition is to increase awareness and support for a Front
Porch Community Trail Project and to raise funds for the National
The community of Goldsboro, located in Sanford, Florida, was
nominated for the competition site based on the existing abandoned
rail corridor, the elementary school location and the Front Porch
- October 25, 2002 Deadline to Enter Contest
- Delivery Options: Mail to FDEP as stated in entry form,
postmarked by November 1, 2002 OR Hand deliver by 5 p.m. on
November 11, 2002 to South Registration Desk (Symposium Trailhead)
at the Coronado Springs Resort
- Winners Announced: November 12, 2002 Jury and Awards Banquet
The winner along with first and second place will be announced
November 12, 2002 at the National Trails Symposium Awards Banquet
at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, and will receive national and
statewide exposure, a national award, and the potential for this
and future design projects. The competition also allows Florida
trail designers to exhibit their creativity and expertise. The
Goldsboro Design Competition will also provide an opportunity for
the National Trails Symposium to leave a creative, positive and
lasting reminder in the Central Florida Region. Entry forms with
payment must be postmarked by October 25, 2002. See PDF of
brochure for entry form. Upon entering the contest you will
receive a confirmation via e-mail. Designs must be postmarked or
hand delivered by November 1, 2002.
- Sponsors and judges are disqualified from entry.
- Entries are limited to professionals registered in the State
of Florida and students attending schools within the State of
- Designs must be postmarked or hand delivered to Lindsey
Benedict at the Office of Greenways and Trails, 3900 Commonwealth
Blvd. MS 795, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3000 by November 1, 2002.
- Display size must be 36" x 48", single sided and mounted for
display. 3-D protrusions up to 2 inches deep are allowed. Easels
will be provided at the conference.
The contest jury will consist of a panel of professional
engineers, landscape architects, and planners as well as
representatives from the Goldsboro Front Porch Community, City of
Sanford, Department of Environmental Protection, and American
Location: Download a map of
the project location -- Download a
survey of the project area
The proposed trail corridor begins on the West Side of Goldsboro
Elementary School and follows along the City-owned abandoned rail
corridor to 13th Street. The corridor continues, under CSX
ownership, to the City-owned Coastline Park, located on 9th
Special Note: The CSX owned portion of the corridor is
abandoned but the property is not available for visitation.
Competition participants may not enter CSX property and shall
assume, for the purposes of this competition, that the corridor
continues in a similar manner through the City owned section. The
survey provided on this website outlines this area for planning
and computational purposes only.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the Management info for Coastline Park, should we want
to ask them questions? City Parks and Rec.
- What is the storm water information (i.e. flood height) for
that area? City Public Works
- Can we put lightweight electronics on the 3'x4' display
- Is a drawn-out budget necessary for design-build purposes? no
- Are you looking for AUTOCAD or MICROSTATION design sheets?
No, focus on theme and graphics
- Can we hang "take-One" Brochures for the public/judges on our
display board? no
- Please define "potential for design implementation" in terms
of the winning designs - The City Commission will evaluate the top
three winners in each category and then vote to approve the design
to be implemented if full funding becomes available.
- How will a professional winner incorporate his/her design
with a student winner? Two separate categories
- Are you looking for references anywhere on the display board?
- Can we go on-site and take pictures of the corridor? Are
there any areas where the corridor is off-limits to visitors /
prospective designers? The CSX portion of the corridor is off
limits for visitation. The City owned portion is mostly accessible
by car or foot. We recommend that you take a buddy to perform site
- Do we need to ask the city for permission to view / visit the
corridor? No, they are aware of the project.
- Can we have 3-D protrusions on the display board, or does it
have to remain 2-D? 3-D up to 2 inches deep.
- Do you want us to display the original information on the
display board as well (Location Map, 2-3 original pictures from
the web, historical community information) It is not required.
- Can we contact the City of Sanford Public Works Department
and ask further questions about the site? If so, whom may we speak
to? We prefer that you direct questions to us and then we can keep
an updated list of questions and answers on the website.
- Is the display board supposed to be a self-standing 3-panel
science-board or a foam board appropriate for display on an easel?
Must be appropriate for mounting on an easel
- Do the [registered] student design participants get to attend
the events of the 16th National Trails Symposium (Nov. 10-13) for
free? Unfortunately no. However, if you would like to sign up as a
symposium volunteer, you may attend one free session for every
four hours worked at the symposium site. Please forward a mailing
address and a volunteer packet will be mailed to you.
For More Information:
back to the home page --
Symposium Highlights --
Symposium Sponsors --
Symposium Registration Information--
download pdf of Registration Brochure --
Field Trips --
Mobile Workshops --
Become a Symposium sponsor! --
Symposium location map --
Why Central Florida?
Thank you for visiting the American Trails website: http://www.AmericanTrails.org
American Trails, P.O. Box 491797, Redding CA
- Calendar -
News and Action Alerts
Newsletter - Resources and
Library - Trails
State by State - National Trails
Training Partnership - National Trails
Trails Program - Your Comments -
Membership Form -
Member Groups -
Board of Directors
-- (530) 547-2060 -- Fax: (530) 547-2035