Free Public Event
Discover, Learn, and Celebrate Trails!
Everyone is invited to attend the kick-off event of the 23rd American Trails International Trails Symposium on Sunday, May 7, 2017 at the Dayton Convention Center in downtown Dayton, Ohio.
This event will provide the local community and attendees with an opportunity to visit exhibitors and learn about the Symposium and trails around the state and country. The exhibit hall will be open to attendees, guests, and local trail enthusiasts free of charge. In addition, local groups from around the Dayton area will provide information tables, presentations, and workshop activities for all ages. Entertainment will be provided.
Download the Free Public Event poster (PDF).
- Date: Sunday, May 7, 2017
- Time: 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Exhibit Hall and Presentations
- 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- A special viewing of the film Trail Magic-The Grandma Gatewood Story hosted by producer Peter Huston in the Convention Center Theatre.
Cost: FREE – Open to the public
- Location: Dayton Convention Center (22 E 5th St, Dayton, OH 45402), Exhibit Hall 102
Sunday FREE Public Presentations Include:
- Adventure and National Trail System Presentations
- How Did It Happen?
- The Evolution of the National Trails System Act
- America’s Trail Above the Clouds: An Historical Prospective of how the Appalachian Trail Took Flight
- Adventure Presentation - North Country Trail; A 4600 mile Hike on America's Longest National Scenic Trail
- Adventure Presentation- Continental Divide Trail; 3000 Miles Along America's Spine
- Adventure Presentation - Pacific Crest Trail; A Walk from Mexico to Canada
- Adventure Presentation - Appalachian Trail; Hiking America's Legendary Trail
- Trail Magic-The Grandma Gatewood Story a film hosted by producer Peter Huston in the Convention Center Theatre (5pm).
- “Where To” Presentations
- Where to: Go Horseback Riding
- Where to: Go OHV Riding
- Where to: Go Mountain Biking
- International Presentations
- Where Trails Really Take Flight: Connecting People and Heritage in the Birthplace of Aviation
- Brazilian Trails: Promoting Greater Public Use and Appreciation of Protected Areas
- Pathways to Meaning: Trails Driving Mindful Travel and Meaningful Trail Experiences
- Awareness Workshops
- Leave No Trace
- Tread Lightly
- Drones and Horses – How Emerging Technology May Impact Your Trail Experience
- State and Local Trails
- Buckeye Trail; Ohio’s State Trail
- National Trails Day: Heightening Community Engagement on Local Trails
Want to highlight your nonprofit, agency, or business?
Nonprofits and agencies can host a table at this half-day free public event for only $25 (businesses can have a table for $100). Download the exhibitor form.
Thank you to our exhibotors to date!
Details for Free Public Day for Exhibitors:
- Each exhibitor space comes with 6’ table (unskirted), 2 chairs, wastebasket, name sign, and a name link on this webpage for your organization/agency/business.
- Set-up: 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Event hours: 12:00pm – 5:00pm (please make sure you have someone to man your table the entire time!)
- Tear-down: 5:00pm-5:30pm
Following the free public event, the Welcome Reception will begin at 6:00 p.m. which is for paid attendees, or non-attendees can purchase a ticket as light hors’devoures will be served. A no-host bar will also be available.
For more information, contact:
Scott Myers, Free Public Event Chair
Candace Mitchell, Symposium Sponsor and Exhibitor Coordinator, American Trails